Sunday 17 April 2016

Bike fit...

So, last week I decided to get my race bike set up checked out.
I was quite comfortable in position, but just wanted to put my mind to rest, that I was as optimal as the integrated front end would allow.
I'd arranged to get a Retul Fit, with James Walsgrove at Tri Harder.
Firstly, as always, is coffee time! As we drank coffee, James installed my bike in the shop turbo.
After the initial Q&A profile building paperwork, I undertook some mobility exercises and James also put me through a few moves, to get an idea of my flexibility.
James then established my various limb joints, as I sat in position on my bike, and applied small velcro tabs, in preparation for attaching the Retul sensors to me.
Once these were attached, I began spinning the pedals.
Once I'd settled into my natural position James made a short dynamic video, which would form a base marker, from which we would aim to improve the position.
After more pedalling, and being monitored from both sides (the Retul turntable is a great aid for rotation), continuous diagnosis from the Retul software and James's interpretations we eventually came to rest at my current position... Almost!...
During the session, he had made several changes to my saddle height and also moved it forward in the seat clamp. Now, for part 2...
I had recently decided that, after about 4 years, Speedplay pedals were no longer for me. Nothing wrong with the system, as I'd had them professionally set up, with all the float dialled out, and never had any joint issues. But, approaching T2, as I dismounted the bike, leaving my shoes on the pedals, I had with great regularity had a shoe come adrift, the moment it contacted the road! This results in a shout from a marshall/ referee to go back and pick up the errant shoe, causing delay in transition!
So, now I had opted for LOOK Keo Blade II's (12Nm). Having experienced Shimano SPD-SL pedals before, with no issues, this decision was driven by the fact that LOOK, unlike Shimano have actually designed a fitting system, to make sure the cleat is installed correctly and angled correctly.
The 'KEO Fit' system pedals were installed on my bike and magnets placed on my cleats. With my feet in position, the pedals were zeroed and I pedalled for 3 minutes, while the KEO Fit analysed my foot position. After which it emitted a beep and I stopped to check the readings. Two runs were made and we finally had what I hoped to be the optimal cleat position. Luckily for me, it was recorded that I was only using 0.6º of float, so could actually get away with 0º float cleats.
Consequently, as the cleat had also moved back slightly, my saddle was also readjusted and checked in the Retul software.
There you have it, effectively I was now more confident in my bike position. Not only was it set as per Retul diagnosis, but I did actually feel better positioned.
Only time would tell,  as I was about to race in my first tri of the year...

That report follows tomorrow ;)

2 comments: