Thursday 12 January 2017

New Year, new toys!...

As we are now well into January, and 2017, I thought it time to re acquaint myself with my blog, and bring it up to date, prior to starting the season...
First up... My new job!... That has thrown a bit of a spanner into the works, with my new rota getting in the way of the Outlaw Full, so that race has been cancelled.
Mind you, that's a small price to pay, for getting myself back to work in the oil industry, as things are still far from stable.
Xterra Wales is also getting the chop, due to work. But, that race in itself has seemed a little shaky in recent weeks, so I'm not sure I wouldn't have cancelled anyway.
Late 2016 I sold my Canyon Speedmax, so set about finding a new whip for 2017.
That search finally ended with me choosing the Felt IA1, which brings me back to my old favourite SRAM, and so I have eTap to play with.
I've spent some time recently, with Matt Jackson, putting the final tweaks to my new position.
My saddle is still not finally set, as I'm waiting for a new 'oval rail' clamp for the Sitero saddle. (It doesn't slope down anymore!).


There will now follow a period of settling in to the new position and getting accustomed to my new Rotor 3D+ 155mm cranks. Hopefully, I won't have lost any power. I can't see it though, as the new position, with the shorter cranks has opened my hip angle quite a lot and removed the 'restrictive' feeling at the top of the pedal stroke.

Near the end of last year I also managed to get one of the new STRYD pods, (from Ben at http://www.triharder.co.uk ).
Still not fully sure of the best way to use it, but it seems more realistic, when trying to hold power, as opposed to HR.

For now, I'm looking forward to getting the miles in, both on the bike and on foot, setting a good base for the season.
Just getting back into my swimming, too. This is definitely my poorest discipline. 
Last month I went to see Seamus Bennett, of Felixtowe Swimscapes, who is also a qualified Swim Smooth coach. We had a very enlightening video analysis at FLC, and I came away with plenty of info and some good drills to help overcome my weakness's. But, at the end of the day, pool time is the only way forward...
JUST GOT TO DECIDE ON A WETSUIT FOR 2017, AS I DOUBT ZONE 3 WILL COUGH UP ANOTHER FOR ME, THIS SEASON...
My current season now looks like:

Monster Duo
Greater Manchester Marathon
Outlaw Half Nottingham
Outlaw Half Holkham
IM Wales

I may possibly race the Monster Middle, again. As much as I hate the road surfaces around Pymoor, I do love the event itself.

Thanks go to:
Ben at Tri Harder
Jason at Performance Coaching Me
Matt at THE FOOTLAB





No comments:

Post a Comment