Monday 28 March 2016

First TT of the season...

First race of the season (TT), and the weather for the KLCC Good Friday 10 was quite good. Bright, sunny day, but it was deceptively breezy!
A week ago, this race had not been in my head, but one of our team posted it up on FaceBook and it seems to rally the team into a bit of action, myself included.
Suddenly, I was racing!...
The forecast leading up to the race had been very changeable, and I had bailed once, thinking I didn't need a 110 mile round trip, just for a good soaking. But, as the race drew nearer, the forecast improved.
I arrived in good time, about 2:30 before the race start! Paid my dues and took number 7.
Got the bike off the rack and fitted my race wheels. Then got my kit on and went for a bit of a recce.
This was the first race I have ever bothered to do a complete recce ride of the course... My longest warm up, ever.
Not a bad course, certainly wasn't going to gift a fast time. The A10 was quite busy with holiday traffic, but the other side, A134 was relatively quiet.
A bit of a dilemma at the start, as I have more power now, than my last visit to a 10TT. I opted for a conservative start, then see how it developed.
Finally, I was being supported by the 'pusher off' and the countdown commenced... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO!
There's a slight downward gradient from the start, which really helped get things started.
I felt comfortable on the extensions and soon had my 'minute man' in view.
Bit of a snarl up at the first RAB, saw me drop a few seconds, but no really big deal.
Another rider came into view. Road surface wasn't the fastest, but there had only been one significant pot hole (well highlighted in yellow paint!). Up to the second turn, and catching another rider, everything seemed to be going well, power was holding fine.
Coming up to around 8 miles, I afforded myself a glance at my time... How disheartening was that!
Despite holding good power, it would appear that the rolling, slow surface and wind was killing my time!
I buried myself for the last 2 miles, and ticked off other riders as I went, which gave me little comfort as I finished, in a time of 25:46... A long time since I'd gone so slow, but, as I said, it wasn't a gift course!
It was a good day out, though, and I got some more valuable experience with my bike and set up.
Now for a week of testing, across all three disciplines, before a short taper to the Manchester marathon...


No comments:

Post a Comment