Monday 20 June 2016

Fritton Standard Tri 19th June 2016.

Probably my quickest ever blog on an event... Thanks mainly to the speedy availability of photo's to paste up with my write up.
Sunday was the final day of the Fritton Triathlon Festival, a weekend of events, with a Sprint and Super Sprint held on Saturday, followed by the Standard distance on the Sunday.
Thankfully, the Sun showed up on the Sunday, as Saturdays weather had been rather grim.
Sunday was an early start for me. Up at 4:30ish, no hanging about, straight down the stairs to get my Porridge on the go.
Just before I went to sleep, the previous night, Sharon had said that she wasn't taking a drink on her bike leg, as she had the wrong bottle cage on! (A Speedfil set up, from Grafman). I couldn't accept that she would race without a drink option, so, as my Porridge bowl pirouetted in the microwave, I changed her cage over. She was racing at a different event, so I didn't have to worry about her getting up with me.
I'd packed the car the night before. Only one bike meant no bike rack, so that was laid in the back, along with tools, wetsuit and helmet. Leaving just my new Zone3 Transition bag to be put in the passenger seat as I left.
Arriving at Fritton Lake, the first thing I noticed was the change in car park area. Very happy to see a nicer, flatter field, possibly closer to transition, too.
Car parked, I was off to registration. Still early in the morning, so this task was despatched with speed and I was back off to the car, with numbers and a (still wet!) timing chip.
Very happy with the new bag, the rucksack straps make it so easy to carry, whilst pushing the bike, much easier than the holdall, or the old 'box' people seem to lament so much.
Transition appeared to be a little cramped when I got there, with 5 bikes racked per section of bar, but once the competitors had left, it all seemed nicely spaced.
I opened my new back, laid out my towel, placed my kit how I like it, then zipped up the bag and left.
Next stop, Tri Harder's promo stall.
Always good to see James and Ben, and their stall as always, was  proving as popular as ever, with plenty of local athletes milling around, and some new faces curiously looking through their stock.
A quick catch up and some friendly insult throwing and I was off back to my car, to sort out some last minute things.
A call over the PA let everyone know that the Race Briefing was about to take place, so everyone gathered and listened in.
Following the briefing I headed back to the stall, where I got suited up, in my new Zone 3 supplied Vanquish suit. I couldn't have been in a better place as James and Ben both helped in getting the suit fitted properly, before zipping me up. The stall is also a great place to leave your bag, with car keys, when you're on your own ;)
Everyone headed down to the lake and prepared for the Two Wave start. I was in the second wave, with most of the males.
Bang on time, Simon (Race Organiser) got the first wave on their way, and we were soon allowed to get in the water, to acclimatise.
Seven minutes later we were set off on our way, too.
Not sure I feel any faster as a swimmer this season, but I do feel more confident, so instead of hanging back, I just stuck out and started with everyone else.
This years swim followed a two lap format, which I much preferred, as opposed to the old 'out and back' course of previous.
There was some 'biff', mainly coursed by others swimming in zigzag manner, and crossing my line, but no big deal.
Temperature was good, and I enjoyed the swim, feeling strong as I neared the finish.
Clambering out of the water, I set off for T1, whilst trying to disrobe the upper section of wetsuit...
Swim Time - 32:58.
T1 - 3:22 (Not happy!)


Remembering the crash and gravel rash from the previous year(!), I opted to don my shoes before leaving transition. Taking a bit of a hit in T1, but at least I was unscathed as I set off on the bike.
Conditions seemed spot on for the bike leg. The course is a fairly simple loop, done twice. Traffic count is low and it's a safe route.
Having remembered my Garmin, I tried to concentrate on the numbers.
I stuck with my current choice of Tailwind Nutrition for the bike leg, as I like to have a drink, even on a shortish race.
Soon enough I was approaching T2. The approach road was quite badly potholed, which had been highlighted at the Race Brief, but that and the speed humps does make riding the last section, with feet on top of the shoes a little dodgy!
Bike Time - 1:10:22.


Into T2 and play spot the bike space!... Not sure I agree with the new BTF regs, of not using bright, distinguishing towels, to mark your place, when the racking isn't numbered! Quite difficult to spot your place, when T2 resembles a bomb site.
I don't like to risk blisters, so socks go on in T2 with trainers.
T2  - 1:30

Out on the run I discovered that an extra little loop has been added since last year, about 100m worth.
Fortunately, it didn't seem quite as hot as last year. There were a few slightly muddy patches in the wooded area, nothing too bad, especially when you consider the run traffic of the previous days two races. 3 laps later and I could finally run through the 'turnaround' and continue to the finish line.
Run Time - 48:13.



Despite all three disciplines differing in their routes from the previous years, and the bike and run being slightly longer than last year, I was pleased to see I had managed to record a faster pace, on all.
Slightly disappointed that I was the wrong side of 2:30 this year, but all in all, I did my best.

Total Time - 2:36:28

Great weather to finish in, allowing for some very relaxed time, catching up with Tri-Anglia club mates and others that I have got to know through this sport.

Once again, Active Outdoor Sport had delivered a great event.

Thanks to Zone 3, for the fabulous Vanquish wetsuit.
Thanks to James Walsgrove, Darren Evans and Mark Peach for the images.


No comments:

Post a Comment