Thursday 16 June 2016

Wroxham 5k (LPGP).

Yesterday I drove almost 60 miles, to Wroxham, to compete in the 5k road race.
It may seem an unusual task, but I had a couple of reasons for driving so far, for a short run!
Firstly, it's part of the Leathes Prior GP and secondly, I just wanted to have a go at a stand alone 'proper' 5k race... Park runs don't put me in the same frame of mind!
I arrived early (planned) and got myself parked up and settled.
The Sun was shining brightly, and I was wishing that I'd brought suncream!
I went to registration and got my number and timing chip, got changed into my race kit and set off for a warm up around the schools 400m grass track. The car park and field were now filling up quickly, a the rest of the field arrived. There had been over 640 entrants, so I was imagining that the start was going to be fairly chaotic.
With about 15 minutes to go, to the race brief, I felt the first spits of rain!... It's been a very unsettled week, but the forecast indicated a dry evening.
But, there was no letting up. The rain just got heavier and heavier. Then the thunder and lightening started.
At 7pm there was an announcement that the race had been delayed by 30 minutes, to give the storm time to pass.
The races lead rider had gone out and rode the course. His report on his return was not good.
The majority of the course was under several inches of water, with Wroxham experiencing flash flooding. To make matters worse the torrential rain was now mixed with a hail storm!
Just outside the food hall (where we were all gathered) we observed a drain cover being lifted by the force of the rain water, backing up below.
Reports also reached us, of the timing mats floating about at the start!
The start line!


Finally, as the delayed start time loomed, the Race Director made a brief speech.
It was no more than any of us had expected, and with great concerns for the safety of the competitors, the decision had been made to cancel the event.
Not an ideal option, but, by far the best that could have been made that night.
A bit of murmuring, then slowly everyone queued to have their chips removed, then slowly shuffled back off to their cars, still in the rain, although it had eased.
Annoyingly, within 5 miles of leaving the Race HQ, the roads were dry, and there was no signs of any storm.
Gutted!... I had arrived feeling really good, electing to have a go at beating my 5k PB, which was set over 20 years ago... Now, I'll have to bottle that feeling, and hope I'm still on form when the race is rescheduled...
A big shout to to Norwich Road Runners, for their courage in making the right decision, and also to the marshall, who continued with their duties, out in the rain, until the cancellation was announced, then had the unglamorous task of rigging everything down and packing away.

No comments:

Post a Comment