Thursday 2 June 2016

Grafman Middle 2016.

So, having delayed my race blog, as I scanned through hundreds and hundreds of the swim photo's, I have finally admitted defeat... It would appear that, despite the many photographers on the day, there were no images published of me in my new Zone3 Vanquish wetsuit! Murphy's law...
We (Sharon and I) went over to Graham Water on Saturday afternoon, to pre register for Sunday's race, mainly to avoid Sunday morning panic, but also to have a quick butchers at the venue.
It was quite a blustery day, creating a choppy water! God, I hoped that had calmed down by morning.
Sunday brought an early start for us, climbing out of bed at 04:45.
 A quick bowl of Porridge, bikes put on the rack and we were soon off.
Again, I had made some last minute changes, none of which had been tested in training, or race proven beforehand!
Trying to avoid the overly strong flavours of many energy drinks, and the sickly after taste of the gels, I had decided to try Tailwind Nutrition. A baptism of fire lay ahead...
I had received my new Zone3 Vanquish, sponsored wetsuit just a couple of days earlier, via Tri Harder in Dereham. A quick OWS on Saturday morning and the suit felt very good.
Tri Harder had been instrumental in getting me interested in the Zone3 Local Hero campaign, and had then given me advice on fit, so that I got the best size for me. (Thanks, guys).
Not a long drive, we were soon in the car park.
The bikes were quickly set up at the car and my race wheels fitted. (I have to have training wheels on the bike, to fit it on the rack).
Sharon had gone meandering off to the toilet and also have her number re written on her hand...
Time ticking away, I had to stand at the car, awaiting Sharon's return. I couldn't go off to transition, without her.
Finally, she arrived and we headed to transition, fully loaded with wetsuits, helmets, bags full of kit and the bikes, of course.
Hurriedly racked my bike and began donning my wetsuit, while a voice over the PA gave me, and those left in transition, a 5 minute warning of closing!... I was finished and leaving Transition just in time.
Someone must have listened to my prayers on Saturday, as Sunday couldn't have been much nicer!... The water was flat calm, the Sun was shining... Even the weather forecast had completely changed, promising a good day for racing.
After listening to the Race Brief, everyone headed for the Swim Start area, and took their position in the appropriate pen.
The sound of a klaxon got everyones attention, and we were off... A steady stream of athletes moving through the start gate and entering the still chilly waters...
The suit felt very comfortable and swimming was very easy in it. Unfortunately, my time wasn't great, but I put that down to the cold temperature of the morning.
It was a 2 lap swim, with an Australian turn at midpoint.
Out of the water in 43:51, I couldn't help feel disappointed. More so for Zone3 than myself, but I felt that I had let the suit (and sponsor) down!
Into T1, which for me was 4:50 of torture as I fumbled about with cold hands, eventually getting myself in a position to take the bike out...
I ran out of T1, mounted my bike and managed to avoid quite a few attempts at derailing me, by some enthusiastic, yet rubbish triathletes, as they zig zagged in front of me.
The bike leg started of well. I got tucked in and quickly settled into my rhythm, and began to real in quite a few of the better swimmers.
Tailwind Nutrition was going well, and I never once needed any thing else.
As I started on the third outlet of the course and hit the downhill, I caught sight of two elite/pro riders actually walking up the incline, as I blasted down the hill! I remember thinking how painful that would be a little later!
The bike course was quite a bit lumpier than I had expected, the third 'out leg' seemed as though it would never end...

Boy, was I glad to see T2. Bike had taken 3:00:20, quite a bit more than hoped for.
Dismounting the bike at the Mount Line, I was immediately aware that my left Hip Flexor wasn't very happy.
I had put two pairs of socks in T2, just in case of rain, etc, which didn't happen, yet, for some reason I still changed socks before the run! What a waste of time. Then had to do a quick stretch for my Hip Flexor.
By the time the run had started it was properly hot! The first section of the run was along the lake, passed the dam to the turn/ water station, then back toward T2. The second loop was quite a bit tougher, with  an undulating run, on a very rough track, again turning at the feed station.
Two laps of the run and it was time to take a left turn, up the chute and through the final timing gate.      

Over, at last in 5:43:33.
Time to watch the rest of the entrants battle their way through.
The past 10 days have been spent analysing the data, and reflecting on the strategies used during my last race.
Beccles Tri is now looming and hopefully, I'll be better prepared on the day. 

Thanks again, to Zone3 for the awesome Vanquish wetsuit, my coach, Jason Battle at PerformanceCoaching.Me, Tailwind Nutrition, and also Tri Harder for their help and advice along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment